Communications & Engagement Associate
Communications and Research, Policy
Director of Strategic Initiatives & Policy
The Communications and Engagement Associate is responsible for supporting activities that advance the work of MHP’s Policy, Communications, and Capacity departments. Managed by the Director of Strategic Initiatives & Policy, a primary focus of this position will be working Campaign Support, Communications Support, and Community Organizing.
The position will maintain MHP’s database and engage with existing and new stakeholders, building relationships with communities in Greater Minnesota in ways that connect to and inform MHP policy and capacity efforts. The Communications and Engagement Associate will write case studies, and advance online education and outreach, including social media and webinars. Finally, they will create content for MHP’s website and social media.
The Communications and Engagement Associate is also the primary liaison between the Communications and Research and Policy teams, tracking policy developments at the local, state, and federal levels for regular newsletters; coordinating authors and producing written content for advocacy materials such as letters to the editor; and providing event support for rallies, forums, workshops, and other MHP public events.
The Communications and Engagement Associate plays an active role in advancing the Equity Strategic Action Plan for both the Communications & Research and Policy departments.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
Campaign Support (40% of time)
- Work with policy staff to collect stories, testimony and real-world examples that advance MHP policy efforts
- Maintain and update MHP’s database to ensure accurate, up-to-date contacts, and generate reports, audience segmenting, and stakeholder groupings
- Assist with social media and policy collateral, including during the state legislative session
- Provide event management and support for rallies, workshops, forums, and other events
Communications Support (30% of time)
- Write blogs and online content to translate and promote MHP efforts for all MHP audiences, including Capacity stakeholders, Investors Council and through MHP Connect and social media
- Produce regular newsletters highlighting MHP’s work and sharing important information around housing and community development, events, and more
- Update MHP’s website and social media
- Contribute interviews, research and writing for HUD products and case studies funded under federal contracts
Community Organizer (30% time)
- Plan and implement trainings on affordable housing and advocacy topics
- Support research for campaign development
- Support MHP participation in coalitions and campaigns
- Develop and cultivate support from organizations within and outside the affordable housing sector
- Play an active role in implementing Equity Strategic Action Plans for the Communications and Research and Policy departments.
- Excellent communication, written and interpersonal skills
- Proficient in basic office computer software systems, as well as customer relationship management (CRM) and Adobe Creative Suite
- Proficient in Joomla! or other content management system for publishing web content
- Ability to adapt to short deadlines and a fast-paced environment, ability to manage several simultaneous projects.
- Self-starter with enthusiasm for networking and relationship building
- Proven experience in building consensus amongst diverse stakeholders
- Ability to inspire others to work in collaboration and take action towards goals
- Three years relevant experience in community organizing, campaign support or other similar experience
- Experience coordinating and conducting interviews with stakeholders
- Proven skill in translating complex information and multiple interviews into compelling written products
- Experience using social media and digital platforms to promote content and events
- Experience working collaboratively with multiple staff and key organization stakeholders
Licenses and/ or Certifications: