About the Investors Council
The Minnesota Housing Partnership (MHP) Investors Council is a group of organizations involved in the affordable housing industry that support the important work of MHP. Members come from the private, nonprofit, and government sectors. Through our partnership, MHP and the members of the Investors Council forge new possibilities for people and places.
While everyone benefits from our work whether they support that work or not, housing industry leaders owe it to themselves, to their peers, and to their stakeholders to help support MHP by becoming a member of the MHP Investors Council.
The Value of MHP
MHP creates tangible value for the affordable housing industry, in multiple ways, helping to expand and safeguard resources for affordable housing projects throughout the state. MHP's influence is considerable and our impact is substantial. Highlights include:
- MHP led advocacy efforts resulting in adoption of the 4(d) tax classification in 1995 and its reinstatement in 2005. Without this tax classification, property taxes for "affordable units" would be an average of 60% higher than the current tax rate - putting the long-term viability of these units in jeopardy. In sum, 4(d) classification currently saves owners of affordable rental housing about $22 million annually.
- In 2012, MHP rallied bi-partisan support for passage of $37.5 million bonding bill to support affordable housing development and homeless programs across Minnesota.
- In 2013, MHP worked with its partners to secure a $33 million boost to the state housing budget.
- Every day, MHP provides nationally-recognized technical expertise and capacity building in community planning and affordable housing development, helping communities, cities, and states maximize resources and know-how to build equitable and economically strong communities.
- For 2014, our goals include promoting an aggressive state bonding bill for housing, and ensuring that low-income housing tax credits (LIHTC) remains an important resource for housing development in Minnesota.
Your Investors Council membership will bolster MHP's ability to continue this crucial work.
Benefits of Membership
Membership in the Investors Council affords your company and employees with a variety of valuable benefits throughout the year:
- Networking opportunities with other leaders in the affordable housing industry.
- Invitations to Investors Council events featuring timely topics and high profile presenters.
- Links to numberous state and national housing coalitions via MHP's connections.
- Access to highly relevant housing policy research via blog posts, emails, publications and events.
- Company visibility at MHP Investors Council events and on our website.
And don't forget - because your company plays an important role in the affordable housing industry, you already benefit from MHP's work. So, while anyone can benefit from our work, housing industry leaders owe it to themselves, their customers, and their peers to support MHP by becoming a member of the Investors Council.
Memberships are annual and begin on October 1st.