See Archive for Bill Trackers from past sessions.
BILL TRACKING: HOUSING AND HOMELESS
This section will cover housing legislation of the 2016 session. Click on the bill number for description, text, status and authors of the bill.
For an account of end of session negotiations, check out MHP's session recap.
H.F. 848 (Davids) Omnibus tax bill: The bill, which included no major housing items, was vetoed by Governor on June 6th. See the individual bills listed below for more detail on what was excluded from the final tax bill.
H.F. 622 (Torkelson) Omnibus bonding bill: The legislator failed to pass a bonding bill by the end of session. The failed bill included $15 million in General Obligation bonds for the preservation of existing public housing and $30 million in Housing Infrastructure Bonds to increase the supply of housing and preserve existing units.
H.F. 2749 (Knoblach) Omnibus supplement budget appropriations: H.F. 2749 was signed into law by Governor Dayton on June 1st. Major housing items included were:
Minnesota Housing Finance Agency
- Appropriates an additional $1.75M to MHFA in FY17:
- Exploited Women and Children Rental Assistance Pilot Program: Appropriates $500,000 (one-time) in FY17. The pilot program provides rental assistance to individuals and families who are at risk of being homeless and who have been victims of gender-based violence, including domestic violence and sexual assault.
- Creates a housing grants program for areas with job training centers. Appropriates $500,000 (one-time) in FY17.
- Creates a Workforce and Affordable Homeownership Program. Appropriates $750,000 (one-time) in FY17.
- Appropriates $750,000 to MHFA in FY17 to address equity and housing:
- Appropriates $500,000 (on-going) directly to Build Wealth Minnesota to fund a family stabilization plan program that enhances financial counseling for families.
- Creates a Landlord Incentive Fund Pilot Program within the Family Homeless Prevention and Assistance Program. Appropriates $250,000 (one-time) in FY17 to incentivize landlords to rent to tenants they might not otherwise rent to.
- Policy changes include:
- Makes two changes to the Family Homeless Prevention and Assistance Program. 1) Changes the definition of homeless youth from youth age 22 and under to age 24 and under and 2) makes tribes eligible applicants.
- Increases minimum relocation payments from $12 to $15 to manufactured home owner/occupants under the Manufactured Home Relocation Trust Fund Program and increases revenues to the fund.
Department of Health and Human Services
- Homeless Youth Act: appropriates an additional $33,000 in FY17 and adds $ 2.9M to the base in the next biennium.
- Safe Harbor and Sexually Exploited Youth Act: appropriates an additional $33,000 in FY17 and an additional $1.5M increase in the next biennium, with a matching appropriation from the Department of Health and Human Services.
- Expands the Crisis Housing program by making people with serious mental illness eligible.
- H.F. 3692 (Torkelson) | S.F. 3415 (Stumpf) The Governor's bonding bill which includes $70,000,000 million in Housing Infrastructure Bonds and $20,000,000 in General Obligation bonds for public housing.
- Update: The Senate included the Governor's recommendation for housing bonds in their bonding bill, S.F. 2839, which failed to pass on May 5th. The final bonding bill voted on in both chambers was H.F. 622 and contained $15 million in General Obligation bonds and $30 million in Housing Infrastructure Bonds
Homes for All
- H.F. 2784 (Hausman) | S.F. 2410 (Tomassoni) Homes for All Bonding Request: A bill for an act relating to public housing preservation and additional housing infrastructure bonds issuance and senior housing addition bond issue and appropriation. Includes $110,000,000 in Housing Infrastructure Bonds and $20,000,000 in General Obligation bonds for public housing.
- Update: A bonding bill failed to pass both chambers before the midnight deadline on May 23rd. H.F. 622 would have included a total of $45 million in bonding dollars for housing, $15 million in General Obligation bonds and $30 million in Housing Infrastructure Bonds. Read our session recap for a blow-by-blow account of the failed bonding bill.
- H.F. 3520 (Smith) | S.F. 3224 (Dziedzic) A bill for an act relating to Minnesota Common Interest Ownership Act amended to provide for construction defect claims.
- Update: Referred to committee but not included in any Omnibus bill.
- H.F. 3377 (Fabian) | S.F. 3167 (Cohen) A bill for an act relating to Workforce and Affordable Homeownership Development program established, reports required, and portion of proceeds of the mortgage registry tax and the deed tax appropriated to the Minnesota Housing Finance Agency for creation of workforce and affordable ownership housing.
- Update: Included as an appropriation in the omnibus supplemental budget bill, $750 thousand was awarded for FY 2017 as the Workforce and Affordable Homeownership Development Program.
- H.F. 3841 (Hamilton) | S.F. 3363 (Sparks) A bill for an act relating to workforce housing income tax credit establishment.
- Update: Not included in final taxes conference committee report or this session's final tax omnibus bill.
- H.F. 2440 (Moran) | S.F. 2690 (Cohen) A bill for an act relating to $2.4 million for Ujamaa place which includes housing.
- Update: $600 thousand was awarded to Ujamaa place in the omnibus supplemental appropriations bill.
- H.F. 180 (Garofalo) | S.F. 209 (Tomassoni) A bill relating to manufactured home space requirements modified.
- Update: Conference committee appointed to reconcile bill differences from both chambers. No further action taken and bill was not passed into law.
- H.F. 3975 (Mahoney) A bill relating to homeownership assistance fund, economic development and housing challenge program, and capacity building grant funding provided; and money appropriated.
- Update: Not included in final conference committee report or omnibus supplemental appropriations bill.
- H.F. 3910 (Gunther) | S.F. (3561) A bill relating to nonprofit economic development corporation exemption provided for construction materials and supplies.
- Update: Not included in final conference committee report or this session's omnibus tax bill.
- H.F. 3758 (Drazkowski) | S.F. 3434 A bill relating to tax increment financing; permitted use of increments clarified.
- Update: Not included in final conference committee report or this session's omnibus tax bill.
Veterans Housing & Services
- H.F. 3550 (Johnson S.) | S.F. 3149 (Clausen) A bill for an act relating to a veteran interim housing facility provided, and money appropriated.
- Update: Included in omnibus supplemental appropriations bill. $250 thousand provided for the study of a veteran interim housing facility.
- H.F. 3390 (Hilstrom) A bill for an act relating to Veterans support including domestic abuse prevention, mental health services, chemical abuse treatment, veterans homelessness prevention, compensation to honor guards, and veterans courts funding provided veterans nursing home tax credit provided, and money appropriated.
- Update: Included in omnibus supplemental appropriations bill, $200 thousand appropriated to state soldier’s assistance fund.
- H.F. 2565 | S.F. 3251 A bill for an act relating to rent subsidies for veterans funding provided, and money appropriated
- Update: Included in final omnibus supplemental appropriations, $100 thousand appropriated for the Cottages of Anoka rent subsidies
- H.F. 3212 (Kahn) | S.F. 3127 (Dziedzic) A bill for an act relating to Minneapolis public housing renovation funding provided, bonds issued and money appropriated.
- Update: Not included in final omnibus bonding bill.
- H.F. 3714 (Thissen) A bill for an act relating to a public hearing after 30-day notice required before imposing an interim ordinance related to housing.
- Update: Refereed to House Government Operations and Election Policy committee, was not included in conference committee report or final omnibus bill.
- H.F. 2585 (Nash) | S.F. 2694 (Franzen) A bill for an act relating to local government, requiring a public hearing after 30 day notice before imposing an interim ordinance relating to housing.
- Update: House version of bill passed, but was never voted on in the Senate.
Landlord Risk Mitigation
- H.F. 3625 (Peterson) | S.F. 3111 (Hall) A bill for an act relating to landlord risk mitigation, grant program established and money appropriated.
- Update: A onetime $250 thousand appropriation included in final supplemental appropriations bill that passed.
- H.F. 3561 (Mariani) | S.F. 3349 (Champion) A bill for an act relating to homestead classification application use of federal taxpayer identification numbers in lieu of Social Security numbers allowed.
- Update: Not included in final taxes committee conference report or this session's tax omnibus bill.
Old Omnibus Bills:
*Note: Both of the following omnibus budget bills were rolled together into H.F. 2749. See the top of this page for more details.
- H.F. 3931 (Garofalo) Omnibus agriculture environment and natural resources, employment and economic development, and energy policy and finance bill
- S.F. 2356 (Cohen) Omnibus supplemental appropriations bill
- $1 million to establish a grant program within the Housing Trust Fund for exploited families rental assistance program. One-time appropriation.
- $500 thousand for competitive grants to fund housing projects in communities with low vacancies and that have an education and training center for jobs in agriculture, farm business management, health care, or other fields with anticipated significant job growth potential.
- $1 million in for the Workforce and Affordable Homeownership Development Program.
- $500 thousand for a grant to Build Wealth MN to provide a family stabilization plan program.